*** Posting to this blog - Please read ***

*** Posting to this blog – Please read ***

Welcome to the St Helens Birds and Wildlife blog. We welcome your reports from across the borough regarding all forms of wildlife. Please click on the "Report a sighting" tab if you would like to contribute to this blog.

We ask that you refrain from posting exact breeding locations of any species which may be considered scarce or vulnerable, and in particular schedule 1 species. In the context of St Helens, schedule 1 species usually means kingfisher and little ringed plover. Little ringed plover should not be reported at all on this blog between 1st May and 1st August.

Scarce or vulnerable species include but are not restricted to any species of wader, ducks other than mallard, all owls, any birds of prey, grey or yellow wagtails, grey heron, all grebes, Cetti’s warbler, water rail, willow tit, corn bunting etc. If in doubt, please ask.

We reserve the right to edit or delete posts which contravene this rule.


Larophile wanted

I've drove by Lyme & Wood Pits Country Park a few times and wondered if the working tip was a) viewable and b) attracting scarce gulls.

Well I got one answer ... There are easily viewable large numbers of gulls probably in excess of several hundred.

The disappointing thing though is that these gulls seemed easily spooked something I had not anticipated as gulls are normally approachable.

This meant that I could only view from afar and I am a birder who doesn't own a scope. Well that my excuses out of the way for not finding a 2cy caspian gull!

I will be back .......

Elsewhere there seemed a nice mix of habitats so here are some other sightings:

Kestrel
Buzzard
Sparrowhawk
9 lesser redpoll
21 yellowhammer
Willow tit
Great spotted woodpecker

Paul B

Sent from my iPod

2 comments :

  1. Sounds a good place, I've never been. I'll try to get there in the next week or two. It would be typical if having missed both Iceland and Glaucous Gull in 2013 I saw both in St Helens in January!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well worth a look Colin - good luck at let me know 1st!

    ReplyDelete